The congregants quickly needed a larger space and later that year bought a six-room one-bath cottage in uptown Whittier to serve as a sanctuary.
What became known as “The Little Brown Church” was used for the next three decades.
After World War II, the church grew and grew until it was obvious Presbyterians needed two church facilities to serve the growing Whittier area. The United Presbyterian bought land on Second Street in East Whittier.
On September 30, 1951, the people dedicated the East Whittier United Presbyterian Church at 14061 East Second Street, where it stands today as a symbol of caring and service to all who enter.
Through the years congregants made substantial improvements. In 2003 the grounds of the church were remodeled to include a wide brick stairway leading to a welcoming covered patio on the front facing Second Street; also a welcoming identifier facing Milliken Avenue and beautiful landscaping all around.
In 2016 the church grounds underwent another renovation by going solar! It was fitting than it was an unusually warm day when celebrants formally dedicated the environmentally friendly system that promises to save the church tens of thousands of dollars in yearly electricity costs!